Saturday, May 26, 2012

Being Melanie: A Real-Life Example

In my last post I discussed different ways that women can use the Internet as a force for good. Well, that wasn't just a fantasy I imagined--women out there are really doing these things online, and I'd like to introduce you to an amazing person who did just that.

Susan Taylor is the founder of Living Equilibrium. Through her business, she helps people overcome challenges using scientific techniques. The many people she has helped witness to her incredible ability to help them change their lives. She is building, strengthening, and inspiring.

I asked Mrs. Taylor about her experience with the Internet and how it has both helped and hindered herself and those she knows. She offered some very valuable insights and graciously gave me permission to share her responses here.

I asked her whether the Internet has given her an opportunity to connect with others on a deeper level. A true mother, she immediately thought of her family. "Our family is so busy, the Internet has allowed me many luxuries, like...allowing me to keep my daytime hours for family and clients, it allows me to 'peek' into the lives of my children's friends." However, she acknowledges, "There is nothing that will take the place of getting to know them in person[.]" 

Mrs. Taylor has also used the Internet as a tool to better understand her family and friends and how she could connect with them. "When I see the faces of my friends and family and read their posts, there are times when my gut tells me I need to connect with them. I have many times found that either I had a message for them or they had a message for me--the answer to what I had been searching for." This is truly a powerful way for women to use the Internet. What many call "female intuition" allows Mrs. Taylor to see, just through reading a short Facebook status update, when she needs to connect further with a friend or family member. Even though she may not usually talk to that person on a daily basis, she's able to peek at their lives through a keyhole, which can sometimes lead her to a greater connection.



However, she's very aware that social networking can be dangerous: "The potential of the internet to cause problems in my life cannot be ignored. As with every good thing, self control and balance are needed. It is very easy to lose hours on the computer and not notice. Nothing can take the place of face to face interaction." Her example reminds us to be careful with this powerful tool: "Because of what I've seen I am choosy about what I post. For myself I strive to be uplifting, encouraging people to look within and look toward God."

Mrs. Taylor offered a really great insight that I hadn't really thought of before--the ability and the ease women have in being open on the Internet. Some things that they might be afraid to share in a face-to-face interaction are very valuable when shared online. It was humbling to read about Mrs. Taylor's experience with open online communication.

"Sometimes I share my own follies because those are especially empowering to me as I realize that my dear friends, as wonderful as they are, are not perfect as they share their own follies. It gives me hope. Some of my greatest learning opportunities as a young wife and mother were when my friends who were further along in the process allowed me to witness the mess'y'ness of their lives. I held less judgment and have been more accepting of the moments, hours, weeks, years of this process that have been far from perfect. I have learned to see the beauty in the mess."

Mrs. Taylor concludes, "I think all in all the Internet has been a phenomenal tool. [Without it,] I would not be able to grow a business and still do all the things that are critical to family life. The potential for connection is amazing."

Mrs. Taylor is truly a "Melanie" online. Being careful about how (and how often) she uses the Internet, she uses it to connect with others and change lives, while still remaining close to her family and managing her home life. Her example shows the potential the Internet has as a tool to help women build, strengthen, connect, and inspire.

No comments:

Post a Comment